[one-users] Difficulty in accessing the virtual instance

Prakhar Srivastava prakhar.apj at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 04:35:07 PST 2010

Hi,
I am trying to install a opennebula cloud. I have one front end with ubuntu
installed. I have successfully installed opennebula. I am able to run
instances but cannot access them using the IP given in the network template
file.. Following is my VM template file.

NAME   = test-vm
MEMORY = 256
CPU    = 1

OS = [ KERNEL     = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-xen-amd64",
       INITRD     = "/boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-5-xen-amd64",
       ROOT       = "/dev/xvda",
       KERNEL_CMD = "ro xencons=tty console=tty1"]

# OS image, mapped to sda.
DISK = [ IMAGE      = "Debian Lenny",
         TARGET     = "xvda",
         DRIVER     = "file:",
         READONLY   = "no" ]

# First DATABLOCK image, mapped to sde
#DISK = [ IMAGE     = "Debian" ]

# Second DATABLOCK image, mapped to sdf
#DISK = [ IMAGE     = "Experiment scripts" ]

# swap, sdd
DISK = [ TYPE     = swap,
         SIZE     = 1024,
         TARGET   = "sdb",
         READONLY = "no",
         DRIVER   = "file:" ]

#DISK = [ TYPE   = fs,
#         SIZE   = 4096,
#         FORMAT = ext3,
#         SAVE   = yes,
#         TARGET = sdg ]

NIC=[NETWORK="Public1"]

The network file is as follows
NAME = "Public1"
TYPE = FIXED

BRIDGE = eth0

LEASES = [IP=192.168.145.68]

In opennebula , there is no option for specifying gateway, broadcast,
netmask and dns server. How these values are communicated to the instance at
boot time. I would like to know how networking is managed by opennebula
front-end.

Prakhar