[one-users] Xen inside ONE with KVM

Javier Fontan jfontan at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 03:17:47 PDT 2010

Hello,

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 10:02 AM, Alexandre Joseph
<contact at alexandrejoseph.com> wrote:
> I want to run a Xen dom0 inside an installation of OpenNebula running
> with KVM (I mean I want a VM started by ONE to be a Xen dom0).
>
> I've tried several things to boot this Xen VM but I can't manage to get
> a running machine.
> I've specified for example a Xen kernel and a Xen initrd but in each
> case the VM don't run.
>
> Is someone has already do something similar and can explain me how to
> proceed?

What are exactly the errors you are getting? There is not much
trickery involved running Xen VM's inside KVM VM aside from preparing
images. You will need a Xen ready (xen hypervisor, kernel, configured
grub and utilities) image that will run in your physical KVM machine.
Then in the virtual xen machine you can run xen VM's as they where
running in a physical xen installation. Make sure the kernel and
initrd images matches your xen version.

We had some problems with initrd as it did not include xenblk and
xennet modules and we had to add them to it.

Also for xen VM's make sure that "console" is added to /etc/securetty
and /etc/inttab (or equivalent) or it will show no login prompt using
xm console command.

Bye

--
Javier Fontan, Grid & Virtualization Technology Engineer/Researcher