[one-users] some more questions

Tino Vazquez tinova at fdi.ucm.es
Thu Aug 5 04:24:29 PDT 2010

Hi Ross,

comments inline,

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 9:14 PM, Ross Nordeen <rjnordee at mtu.edu> wrote:
> If you were using a redundant storage system say like drbd which was shared out via nfs to all nodes what would happen if you had a physical node go down?  Would the state of that machine still be active on the nfs share?

You will have access to the VM's filesystem, but the memory state would be lost.

> Would it automatically live/cold migrate to another node?

We are working on an extension of OpenNebula's hook mechanism to allow
to cold migrate (live migration if the source node is doing is not
possible) all the VMs running on a host that goes down. This will be
available in the final 2.0 version.

> Also do the vm's checkpoint at all on their own to create some sort of backup of state?  Thanks

Not automatically, but it would be healthy to have a checkpoint policy
for VMs sensible to failovers.

Hope it helps,

-Tino

> -Ross

Constantino Vázquez Blanco | dsa-research.org/tinova
Virtualization Technology Engineer / Researcher
OpenNebula Toolkit | opennebula.org