[one-users] Configure VN for DHCP

Jaime Melis j.melis at fdi.ucm.es
Wed Sep 30 01:30:04 PDT 2009

Hi Santosh,

You have two options for the network type: ranged and fixed. If you choose
fixed you have to specifically list the ips that will be assigned by
OpenNebula to the VMs, this is the way to go if your DHCP pool is smaller
than a class C. If you choose ranged, OpenNebula will generate IPs for a
whole class C.

Are you planning on deploying the DHCP server as a VM managed by OpenNebula,
or is it already set up? If it's the latter, I would suggest that you use a
fixed network type. It's convenient to know, when configuring the DHCP
server, that there is a relationship between both the MAC address and the IP
generated by OpenNebula:
the MAC address is built by using the first two bytes specified in the
configuration file (MAC_PREFFIX) and the last 4 bytes is the IP in
hexadecimal:

MAC_PREFFIX="00:03", IP=192.168.0.6 <=> MAC=00:03:c0:a8:00:06

Regads,
Jaime