[one-users] network problem with VMWare ESXi

Shi Jin jinzishuai at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 10:42:30 PDT 2009

Thank you Tino. This is very helpful.

>   1) Create a Virtua Network in OpenNebula name "myNW" with
> BRIDGE="one-net", and network address XX.XX.XX.XX
>   2) Add to the VM template a NIC line like
>
> NIC=[NETWORK="myNW", MAC="XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX"]

However, I followed your instruction and got a problem starting the VM:
00:03:c0:a8:01:81 is not allowed as a static ethernet address. Invalid
MAC address specified. Failed to configure ethernet0.
I then found out that for static MAC address, VMWare only allows the
range of 00:50:56:xx:xx:xx (see
http://www.sanbarrow.com/vmx/vmx-network-advanced.html)
This raises the problem that we can only specify the first two
segments in MAC_PREFIX. When I set MAC_PREFIX   = "00:50:56", the
resulting vnet is not functioning properly. For example, it gives
MAC=00:01:b7:d4:92:81, which is not as expected.

Is there a solution to this?
Thank you very much.

Shi