[one-users] occasional error in deleting LVM images

Javier Fontan jfontan at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 06:47:09 PST 2009

Hello,

You can add a delay in tm_delete.sh but as you say it should check for
the VM to be dead. When you issue a delete command it deletes
everything immediately. I encourage you to use onevm shutdown or
cancel. The VMs should be delete more gracefully. Delete should be
used when the VM is stuck or you want to delete a failed VM.

Bye

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 1:54 AM, Shi Jin <jinzishuai at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> When I issue "onevm delete" for an image running on an LVM snapshot,
> sometimes I will get the following error:
> Thu Nov  5 16:52:25 2009 [TM][W]: Ignored: LOG - 45 tm_delete.sh:
> ERROR: Command "ssh node5 sudo lvremove -f $(echo cloud/$(sudo lvs
> --noheadings cloud|awk '{print $1}'|grep lv-one-45))" failed.
> Thu Nov  5 16:52:25 2009 [TM][W]: Ignored: LOG - 45 tm_delete.sh:
> ERROR:   Can't remove open logical volume "lv-one-45-0"
>
> This error does not happen all the time. Sometimes it works perfectly.
>
> I think the problem might be that this clean up script runs too fast
> after the "virsh destroy" and the image might still be in use at the
> time of running the script.
> Would it be possible to add a delay in the script?
> In the ideal case, there should be a checking loop to make sure the VM
> is completely destroyed before any clean up job.
>
> I think we have the similar issue for the ebtables-done/delete hooks.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Shi Jin, Ph.D.

Javier Fontan, Grid & Virtualization Technology Engineer/Researcher