[one-users] Suggestions for a small cluster

jaideep dhok jddhok at gmail.com
Thu May 21 10:03:53 PDT 2009

Hi all,
We want to setup a private cloud for the students in our lab and we
need some help regarding the same. We have never used OpenNebula
before, so please excuse us if the questions are too naive.
The physical structure of the cluster is:
20 Intel quad core machines, 4GB RAM, 500 GB * 2 disks each
10 Intel dual core machines, 2GB RAM, 160 GB * 2 disks each.
We want to build an OpenNebula based private cloud on the above
infrastructure. We don't have any dedicated storage servers. What is
the recommended logical configuration for such a cluster? is it
recommended that we have few machines for dedicated storage (for
storing images etc)? Which Linux distro should we go with? currently
we are considering CentOS, Ubuntu 8.04 server, and Debian Lenny.

Any advice, suggestions are greatly appreciated

Thanks,
--
- JDD