[one-users] Initial configuration assistance

Tim tim at yetanother.net
Thu Jun 4 08:26:35 PDT 2009

Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of trying to set up our first OpenNebular
platform here but I'm currentlys struggling to get to the stage where
I can create new VMs.

To give you an initial overview of our sittuation.

We have three servers allocated to OpenNebular to which we have
assigned the role of opennebula manager (mgmt)
 to one and opennebula-node (node1, node2) to the remaining two boxes.

All three boxes can route directly to the internet via eth0 and node1
and node2 are also connected together vi
a their eth1 device.

eth1 has been configured as a bridge on both nodes, e.g:
iface br0 inet static
        address 172.16.1.2
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 172.16.1.0
        broadcast 172.16.1.255
        bridge_ports eth1
        bridge_fd 9
        bridg_hello 2
        bridge_maxage 12
        bridge_stp off

So we've got setup that looks like this:

               +----+
               |mgmt|
               +----+
                 | 10.1.0.1
           +-----------+
10.1.0.2   |           |  10.1.0.3
         +----+     +----+
         | n1 |     | n2 |
         +----+     +----+
172.16.0.1 |           | 172.16.0.2
           +-----------+

As references, I've primarily been using the following resource (as
the distro i'm using currently on all thre
e boxes is Ubuntu):

https://help.ubuntu.com/9.04/serverguide/C/opennebula.html

Sooo... the intial installation appears to have gone fine.. and the 3
boxes are linked together:

mgmt$ onehost list
 HID NAME                      RVM   TCPU   FCPU   ACPU    TMEM    FMEM STAT
   1 node1                       0    800    800    750 3259852 3217515   on
   2 node2                       0    800    800    800 3259852 3217515   on

I've created a guest VM to practice with:

mgmt$: ubuntu-vm-builder kvm jaunty \
                  --domain test.lan \
                  --arch i386 \
                  --mem 256 \
                  --user opaladmin \
                  --pass password \
                  --mirror http://ubuntu.virginmedia.com/archive \
                  --components main,universe \
                  --addpkg vim openssh-server \
                  --libvirt qemu:///system ;

I've created a network for them to play on..

mgmt$ onevnet show peonLan
NID               : 1
UID               : 0
Network Name      : myLAN
Type              : Ranged
Bridge            : br0

....: Template :....
        BRIDGE=br0
        NAME=myLAN
        NETWORK_ADDRESS=172.16.0.0
        NETWORK_SIZE=C
        TYPE=RANGED

I've created a VM template to initiate new VMs with:

NAME    = vm01
CPU     = 0.5
MEMORY  = 256

OS = [ BOOT = hd ]

DISK = [
        source = "/var/lib/one/images/disk0.qcow2",
        target = "hda",
        readonly = "no" ]

NIC = [ NETWORK="myLAN" ]

Then.. when I run it.. it seems to come up!:

mgmt$ onevm show vm01
VID            : 1
UID            : 0
STATE          : ACTIVE
LCM STATE      : RUNNING
DEPLOY ID      : one-1
MEMORY         : 262144
CPU            : 0
LAST POLL      : 1244128727
START TIME     : 06/04 14:50:32
STOP TIME      : 01/01 01:00:00
NET TX         : 0
NET RX         : 0

....: Template :....
    CPU             : 0.5
    DISK            :
READONLY=no,SOURCE=/var/lib/one/images/disk0.qcow2,TARGET=hda
    MEMORY          : 256
    NAME            : vm01
    NIC             :
BRIDGE=br0,IP=172.16.0.1,MAC=00:03:ac:10:01:01,NETWORK=myLAN,VNID=1
    OS              : BOOT=hd

However,

1) It doesn't just pop up onto the network so I'm assuming that I've
got my network config screwed up.. I have
 a sneeking suspicion that I've got my bridging set up fundamentaly
incorrectly..  Any pointers as to what I'm
 doing wrong would be very very greatfully accepted!

2) As it's not coming up on the network.. my normal step would be to
jump onto the VM and see what was going o
n from it's perspective.. however, I can't figure out how to open a
console up onto the VM so I'm completely b
lind as to what is going on with it..

I'm sure I've got a long way to go before I get this running the way
it needs to be.. but those are the two th
at are really throwing a road block in my way and preventing me from
progressing.

If I can provide any additional information to assist, please just let me know.

--
Tim
tim at yetanother.net