[one-users] opennebula 1.4 beta, installation

Sven Oostenbrink sven at kionetworks.com
Fri Jul 31 11:39:39 PDT 2009

Hi Tino,

Comments inline as well...

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 11:58 AM, Tino Vazquez <tinova at fdi.ucm.es> wrote:

> Hi Sven,
>
> comments inline,
>

> On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 6:42 PM, Sven Oostenbrink<sven at kionetworks.com>
> wrote:
> > Tino,
> >
> > Thanks for the info! After some searching I already found it and
> opennebula
> > 1.4 works fine now. Since I got directly on the installation guide, at
> first
> > I didn't see it..
> >
> > One other commentary: I finally found the solution to the $ONE_AUTH
> problem
> > (was not defined) but it was a bit tricky to find. Mayby you can also add
> > some info about that on the installation guide?
>
> We see that as configuration, thus part of the configuration guide
> (http://opennebula.org/doku.php?id=documentation:rel1.4:cg)

I agree, it would be configuration, but I imagine people like me (no comment
there) go over the installation guide, it works and then you onehost list
and boom, there is a ONE_AUTH error and... how? what? where?  Maybe you
could add just a small notice about it and a link pointing to the
configuration page? In any case, its not for me, I get it already, just for
other new users that may run into the same problem.

> > Another question.. Why does opennebula has its own user management
> system?
> > Why is it not using the user management of the underlying operating
> system,
> > which would not require an extra thing to manage?
>
> Very good question, indeed. Probably the main reason is to avoid the
> need to create one OS user for each OpenNebula user.

Umm, that would not make sense, would it? As I understand it, I control
opennebula from a shell, from a user, already. Like that, it would be like
me (sven) entering in a shell as user sven, and then access onehost, but if
my co-worker eduard wants to access it, he would access it from my shell as
well? No, he would also have his own account to access that server in the
first place, and with that there is already a user for him, no?

Not sure if I make sense here, but well.. It'd be very nice if (in a future
version?) I could have opennebula just follow the current shell user. If I
(Sven) access opennebula, I can only modify VMs created by user sven and if
Eduard accesses it, he can only access his servers..

Cheers!