[one-users] How to use CPU cores for multiple VMs

Ruben S. Montero rubensm at dacya.ucm.es
Sat Jul 18 02:32:51 PDT 2009

Hi,

Note that CPU value is not the number of cores but the capacity you
want to assign to the VM. VMs are always 1 core in OpenNebula v.1.2
In v1.4 we have vCPU to specify the number of virtual CPUs or cores.

You can use CPU to manually drive the consolidation in your cluster so
CPU=0.5 means that you can place two (1 core) VMs
in a physical host offering CPU=1. Additionally, with Xen we can
enforce the capacity sharing you specify in the template. So, if you
put 0.6 and 0.4 to share the same CPU, 60% of the cycles goes to one
VM and 40% to the other.

Cheers

Ruben

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 3:56 PM, Suresh
Chatla<suresh.chatla at hexagrid.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Here is the Scenario:
> We had quad Core processor.
> Created 4 VMs with 1 CPU core.
> I am not able to Install 5th VM.
> Opennebula dedicating CPU which we are assigning in the configuration file.
> So, I can install only 4 VMs on it.
> To install more I need to redeuce the CPU to some thing like 0.5, 0.6....
> But I need to assign 1 core for each and i need to install more than 4 VMs.
>
> We can use same CPU core to more than 1 VM in vmware,XEN and KVM(without
> using Opennebula).
>
> Thanks
> --
> Suresh Reddy Chatla