[one-users] one-1.2.0 support for LVM over iSCSI

Sander Klous sander at nikhef.nl
Sat Jul 25 03:14:34 PDT 2009

Hi,
I made some minimalistic changes to XenDriver.cc and TransferManager.cc
to support LVM over iSCSI. Details of what I did can be found under
"Implementation issues" on this page:

http://www.nikhef.nl/pub/projects/grid/gridwiki/index.php/Virtual_Machines_working_group

Basically the code checks for the first 5 characters of a path. If these
characters match "/dev/" then it is assumed to be a block device and
handled as "LVM over iSCSI". The changes should be backward compatible.

I attached the diffs for both src files. The tm scripts and
configuration changes are available at the above mentioned web page.

The big advantage of using LVM over iSCSI is the possibility to work on
locally stored copy-on-write clones from the LVM images. If this can be
combined with a significant iSCSI read-cache (still need to investigate
this), it would significantly reduce the overhead of image transfers
between the image repository and the nodes.

Please feel free to contact me for comments or more information.
Thanks,
Sander