[one-users] OpenNebula in Ubuntu

Soren Hansen soren at ubuntu.com
Wed Jan 28 00:19:54 PST 2009

I'm pleased to announce that as of last night, OpenNebula is available
in Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope) (our current development version, due
to be released on April).

There are three packages:

 * opennebula-common
   This package created a "oneadmin" user, creates /var/lib/one and
   makes oneadmin the owner of it.  You do not need to install this
   package manually, as the following two packages depend on it and it
   will be installed automatically.
 * opennebula
   This is the core of opennebula. It contains oned, mm_sched and
   everything else that you'd find in a regular opennebula installation.
   Additionally, it creates an ssh key pair for the oneadmin user, to
   ease in setting up connections to other nodes.
 * opennebula-node
   If you're a current OpenNebula user (which you probably are, if
   you're reading this mailing list), you know that OpenNebula doesn't
   need any components of itself on the cloud nodes. So, all this
   package does, is install kvm and libvirtd, and add the oneadmin user
   to the libvirtd group (to give him access to qemu:///system).

A few other, Ubuntu specific changes have been made:

 * I've added a bit of extra help to "onehost create". If adding a new
   node is succesful, it outputs something like this:
Success!

Note: 'oneadmin' on this host needs to be able to ssh to oneadmin at mynode4,
so on this host, run:
    sudo -u oneadmin ssh intel

and verify the host's authenticity.

On mynode4, run this:
    sudo apt-get install opennebula-node

    sudo tee /var/lib/one/.ssh/authorized_keys << EOT
ssh-rsa AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAABIwAAAQEA28681mP2ak0fj1l1XPOTNRrsLBctgJcMAX/oKQzuLYvooHMzIfYniL4zhir1fK9Ko1JyJgTZEQPgvV6Pr8OiIdwp6Kl6VRzvDzXfcdauvaWDJmpw7uVZUTn9BUy9A6CbBHrBlI/WjRyK/GSdMGyMGXCBKESJJGMwT2N3p4YtmdifrKgQjMV2Ts73mVt4m+GXNLc69ENnsY8ybrgKzLRbHo328vZuGHYX/VUroHQjBVLpKAZeO08qEkiSkULiR9ii1vc47eeoMj4z5fAyDjOdF+8SxNjoz3drStWDTU/9xlstmL56C00h8ftulXlWlUG2hsrvsFmHKcQDM8uUqYzr5w== oneadmin at ralph
EOT

 * I've disabled Xen by default in oned.conf and enabled kvm by default.
   KVM is our supported and preferred hypervisor in Ubuntu.

If you have any feedback, please don't hesitate to shout, and also feel
free to report any bugs here:

   https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/opennebula/+filebug

A word of caution: Ubuntu 9.04 is still very much work in progress. Do
not use this in a production environment. If it breaks, you get to keep
both pieces. :)

--
Soren Hansen        |
Virtualisation Lead | Ubuntu Server Team