[one-users] Some issues while using OpenNebula

Boris Nikolai Konrad boris.konrad at uni-dortmund.de
Thu Feb 5 06:11:05 PST 2009

Dear OpenNebula Team and users,

I am working at the University of Technology Dortmund in Germany and
we are currently trying OpenNebula.
The functionality meets our requirements and we hope to be able to use
it to manage our virtual clusters in the near future.

But I still have got a few questions and concerns.

The first issue is about ONEs behaviour in the case of malfunctions.
Is it right, that ONE does not detect it, if an physical host crashed
and has problems with handling that?
What is the procedure, if an host running virtual machines crashes?

Is it right, that you can not delete a virtual machine (VM), when it
gets stucked in the boot-status for any reasons?
Also, when anything ONE tries to do via ssh fails, the ssh connection
remains, which brought down our ssh clients because of too many
connections.

Then we have got a problem with the tm_mv.sh in the nfs version we
use. It does not seem to work. Maybe you can on help us:
If I try to use nfs and cloning, the vm runs as expected. But when I
shut it down (the save-tag in the template is set to "yes"), it is not
saved.
The vm log-file says "Will not move, is not saving image"
Even more critical seems to be, that the images-subfolder gets deleted
anyway, so the changes made to your image are lost and you can only
set up another vm from the previous image saved in the images-folder.
(A vm's image is supposed to be saved back to the image folder, if you
use onevm shutdown, isnt it?)

Actually, I am still not sure which commands are meant for the regular
operations? If I like to stop a VM and continue it anywhere later,
should I use shutdown and then submit its template again (therefore
getting a new onevm id)? Or should I use suspend and resume?

One note:
Before we even got it to run, we had to do a small change in the XenDriver.cc
There you use tap:aio in the 1.2 beta version. But to use "file:" is
not deprecated, as mentioned in the comment in XenDriver.cc. tap:aio
just has a higher performance. But it does not work on all Linux
distributions and xen-versions! So please consider making this
configurable.

Kind regards,
Boris Konrad