[one-users] Issues when i integrate opennebula with vmware server

Tino Vazquez tinova at fdi.ucm.es
Fri Aug 28 03:04:22 PDT 2009

Dear marimuthu,

comments inline,

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 8:41 AM, <marimuthu.balasubramanian at wipro.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I am trying to integrate opennebula with vmware server. i have installed
> opennebula 1.3.80 in front end m/c.  In one node machine i have installed
> vmware server.

Many thanks for trying it out.

> Onehost creation is working fine.

Good news!

> i have installed vmware ssh transfer manager scripts and I am using ssh
> transfer manager for vm creation. when I fire onevm command. the opennebula
> depends on following things.
>
> -> it is expecting deployment.0 file should be available in front end
> machine under /opt/VM_DIR/1. (here /opt/VM_DIR is VM_DIR and 1 is vm id)
> OneVmmVmware program is reading and parsing that file.
> my question is
> the same file is available under $ONE_LOCATION/var/1  but why it is reading
> from /opt/VM_DIR/1?

Have you set VM_DIR in $ONE_LOCATION/etc/oned.conf?

> -> DeployVM program is refering the following vmxpath
> [datastore] one-1/one-1.vmx. but the dir and file is not available on the
> node machine. the vmware server is expecting the same should be available.
> so the vm creation is failing.

I haven't test the ssh scripts with the vmware server, and I'm afraid
that the DATASTORE path will be different (in ESX and ESXi they are
stored under /vmfs/volumes, and that's harcoded). I need to test it
under vmware server and probably make some changes. Meanwhile, if you
point me what is the path to the DATASTORE in your vmware server I may
be able to provide a quick patch.

> My question is
> how vmx file will get created?

OpenNebula doesn't offer VMware VM creation, you have to create it
manually using the VMware Infrastructure Client (VIC).

> NOte: I have manually created the vmx file and directory. After that vm
> creation is working fine using onevm command
> But only the local ip address is configured properly. but unable configure
> ip address using eth0 bridge.
> My vm is running with ubuntu operating system. so i was trying to configure
> network using /etc/network/interfaces but when
> i run  "/etc/init.d/networking restart" manually on the vm. I am getting
> following error.
> unable to detect eth0 device.

Assuming you have defined a network interface in your VM template
(otherwise OpenNebula will leave the NICs defined upon VM creation).
If so, take a look to the running VM with the VIC to see if any
network interface is defined.

My guess is that either there are none defined, or there is one
defined and assigned to eth1, in which case you will have to
reconfigure your ubuntu VM to configure that interface instead of
eth0.

> please help me to resolve the issues.

Please do not hesitate to ask further doubts. VMware server and the
ssh scripts are the least tested configurations, but I am confident we
can get it working.

Regards,

-Tino