[one-users] Attach a console to kvm instance to debug network/boot issue

Gavin netmatters at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 05:12:00 PDT 2009

2009/8/24 Javier Fontan <jfontan at fdi.ucm.es>:
> Hello,
>
> There are two ways of getting console in KVM machines.
>
>  * Tell VM to create a VNC server where you can connect to it:
> http://opennebula.org/doku.php?id=documentation:rel1.4:template The
> information you need is in "I/O Devices Section", search for VNC. Take
> into account that by default the server will be attached to 127.0.0.1
> so you will have to launch vnc client from the exection host.
>
>  * Virtualize a console so you can use "virsh console". From the
> libvirt documentation:
>
> --8<------
> Pseudo TTY
> A Pseudo TTY is allocated using /dev/ptmx. A suitable client such as
> 'virsh console' can connect to interact with the serial port locally.

>      <serial type="pty">
>        <source path="/dev/pts/3"/>
>        <target port="1"/>
>      </serial>
> NB special case if <console type='pty'>, then the TTY path is also
> duplicated as an attribute tty='/dev/pts/3' on the top level <console>
> tag. This provides compat with existing syntax for <console> tags.
> ----->8--
>
> This can be added using the RAW parameter in the template. But seems
> you are having troubles with that. What xml parameters have you tried?

Hi Javier,

Thanks very much for your reply!!

After battling with the kvm console issue I decided to go back to Xen,
but I then realised that Xen support in Ubuntu/Debian is becoming less
and less, and Xen seems to have a lot of issues these days.

So after you email I went back to kvm and made use of the vnc option
and I can now console successfully into my vm's.

Now all I need to do is figure out how to modify the vmcontext.sh
script to be compatible with kvm.

On this note, I notice that there is now another method to
contextualise a vm, the ISO method.

Which is the recommended way to contextualise a vm and can anyone help
with some pointers on a dual-homed kvm guest ???

Sorry, but I have only recently started using kvm so am still getting
to know how it works, what commands do what and so on.

Thanks and Regards,
Gavin