[one-users] Persistent VM instance storage?

Enis Afgan afgane at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 05:24:32 PDT 2009

But that means that the same VM image needs to be used consistently to have
access to stored data, right? It is not possible to decouple the data from
the VM image? For example, I start VM instance from image A, manipulate some
data while the instance is alive and save it. Shut down that instance. Then
I start an instance of VM image B and would like to access/mount data that
was stored by having run instance A earlier.

Thanks for the answer,
Enis

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 6:26 AM, Javier Fontan <jfontan at fdi.ucm.es> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> If the images for persistent storage are located in a shared directory
> exported to execution nodes you can simply specify its path and set
> CLONE=no in the template file. That way the VM will have access to
> that image and could be used after the VM is shutdown for other VM. If
> you do not have a shared directory use CLONE=yes and SAVE=yes when
> specifying that image so when the VM is shutdown the modified image is
> copied back to $ONE_LOCATION/var/<vmid> in the frontend machine.
>
> Bye
>

> On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 7:45 PM, Enis Afgan<afgane at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hey guy, long time no contact but here I am again... :)
> >
> > Anyway, I've recently started looking at OpenNebula and have not been
> able
> > to find any documentation on persistent storage for VM instances?
> Something
> > on the lines of Amazon's EBS where one can mount (multiple) virtual disks
> > a live instance and have data stored to that medium transcend life of the
> > instance itself. Is this possible in OpenNebula?
> > If not, are there any other provisions for persistent storage within VM
> > instances? Are there any limitations within the model (e.g., Amazon's S3
> has
> > 5GB single file limit).
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Enis
> >
> > P.S. Anyone from the group coming to Cluster 2009?
> >
> > --

> Javier Fontan, Grid & Virtualization Technology Engineer/Researcher
> DSA Research Group: http://dsa-research.org
> Globus GridWay Metascheduler: http://www.GridWay.org
> OpenNebula Virtual Infrastructure Engine: http://www.OpenNebula.org

Enis Afgan, Ph.D.