[one-users] Cannot shutdown VM

Ruben S. Montero rubensm at dacya.ucm.es
Mon Aug 10 15:09:03 PDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 2:24 PM, Harsha Buggi<Harsha_Buggi at mindtree.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I have installed Nebula on an fc8 machine with NIS and NFS support. Using Oneadmin login to create VM's
>
>   I have couple of issues:
>
> 1) I am not able to shutdown VM's. By default fc8 installs 'qemu-kvm' and I have created the symbolic link 'kvm' for this file. But after I create the VM's I am not able to perform a shutdown. I tried changing the 'emulator' to 'qemu-kvm' in libvirtdriver.cc file and reinstalling but I am still not able to shutdown the VM. I am able to do this if I install v1.2. I am using the following versions of hypervisor and libvirt
> kvm-60
> qemu-0.9.0-7
> libvirt-0.4.4
> libvirt-python-0.4.4

So, after the changes you are able to boot the VM but not to shutdown
it, right?. I am not sure why you can create but not shutdown. What
does the log files say?
I've updated the following issue to address also the "emulator" path:

http://dev.opennebula.org/issues/131

> 2) I found that libvirt v 0.4.4 does not support user logins apart from root. This seems to have been fixed in the  released recently v0.7.0. This could be the solution to the issue described in
> http://lists.opennebula.org/pipermail/users-opennebula.org/2009-August/000626.html
> In my case I have modified the one_vmm_kvm.rb file to reflect
> create   => "sudo virsh  create" instead of 'create   => "virsh -c qemu:///session create"'

Yes, we plan to make the hypervisor URI a configurable parameter in
the vmm_kvm.conf file. BTW, Does this solve the previous issue?

> 3) After creating a new user using 'oneuser create' command and setting the ONE_AUTH variable how do I set VM permissions for this user?

The permissions are as follows:

* Each VM and Network are owned by the user that creates them. (you
can now see ownership in the "list" commands)
* Each user can only managed her own VMs or Networks (i.e. shutdown
migrate delete...)
* Oneadmin can do anything

This is enforced by the OpenNebula core.

>Should this user be created on the system too?

It is not really needed, it depends on the type of deployment you want
to make. If the users are *external* (e.g. will access to your
infrastructure through a cloud interface) you do not have to make a
system account for each user, just an OpenNebula one. However if those
users are the team of sysadmins managing the virtual infrastructure
for a site each one will probably have their own system and OpenNebula
accounts.

Thanks for the feedback!

Cheers!

Ruben