[one-users] Pointers to my GSOC code

Alvaro Canales accleo at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 02:47:22 PDT 2008

Hello William,

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 3:30 AM, William Voorsluys <williamvoor at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello Alvaro,
>
> I'm forwarding this thread to ONE users as well.
>
> More comments inline.
>
> 2008/9/2 Alvaro Canales <accleo at gmail.com>:
> > Hello William!
> >
> > On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 2:29 AM, William Voorsluys <williamvoor at gmail.com
> >
> > wrote:

> find
> >>
> >> Files are attached!
> >
> > I'm glad your hellonebula.xml file is a Globus Workspace file, it's the
> same
> > aproach I use! :)
> > May I ask you how do you supply the parameters that are in a ONE template
> > file but not in a  VWS (mac address, kernel, CPU usage...)? Do you infere
> > them? Or get it from defaults, like in the kernel case?
>
> In my code, if you look at the OpenNebulaBindingAdapter class, you can
> see how everything is done. MAC address are obtained through a Network
> Adapter (which manages network associations).
> Kernel is ignored. I assumed end-users would not be aware of which
> kernels are installed on ONE clusters. Thus, a default kernel must be
> specified on the backend side.
> CPU percentage is supported on WS metadata. If not specified I assume
> a default value of 1.

You're right. This approach seems correct to me too :)

> but
> >>
> >> I created a method to return ids of all hosts. This is related to the
> >> ticket http://trac.opennebula.org/ticket/33
> >> The workspace service needs to know how many hosts are available and
> >> the configuration of each host. This is required for scheduling
> >> purposes.
> >> As far as I can see, in your approach, as well as in the previous
> >> integration approach done the ONE team, the WS sees a ONE managed
> >> clusters as a single machine with N processors and a, say, 20GB of
> >> memory. So, if a user submits a request for a 10GB machine, WS would
> >> forward the request to ONE, which, in turn, would never schedule such
> >> request. I implemented a new Slot Management that mitigates this
> >> issue.
> >
> > Yes, you're right. My approach doesn't cope with that... But it's not
> > something I'm specially worried about it...
> > By the way, I have one last question (thank you, in any case, for your
> > attention and help provided!) :)
> > What do you do to get the ID of the new submitted VM? I mean, you have to
> > apply onevm suspend, resume... etc. to a hostID returned when you
> allocate a
> > VM... the thing is, where do you store this returned ID? In the Workspace
> > attribute "workspaceID"? I don't know exactly at what point of the Globus
> > Workspaces code (not even in which file :( ) may I do it... Probably when
> > get the ID returned. But I'm not sure how to store it (I have not even
> seen
> > a setID method...)... any clue?
>
> Since I'm using the XML-RPC API, a VM id is, in fact, the return value
> of method one.vmallocate. This value is then kept in the
> org.globus.workspace.opennebula.OpenNebulaVirtualMachine, which
> extends VirtualMachine, which instance, in turn, is a field of
> WorkspaceRequestContext.

Yes, I see you've extended VirtualMachine class. In my inplementation, I
didn't see a reason to do it. I just wanted to reset the Globus Workspace
autogenerated name/id to the one returned by vmAllocate()... But I'm not
sure where it is precisely set. I think it's in the DefualtBindingAdapter,
but your solution is anyway far neater. :)

> > Thank you for your time and help!!
> > Best regards,
>
> No worries,

Once again, thank you!