[one-users] Globus Workspaces - OpenNEbula connection problems...

William Voorsluys williamvoor at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 18:12:00 PDT 2008

Hello Alvaro,

I'm forwarding this thread to ONE users. We are discussing on network
customization in the context of the WS + ONE integration.

More comments inline.

>> Hello Alvaro,
>>
>> It's really good to hear you are interested in the integration between
>> Globus WS and OpenNebula. My work regarding this integration was done
>> as part of Google Summer of Code, which just finished a week ago.
>> Since there are still some things to be improved, it would be nice if
>> we joined our efforts.
>> I'm cc'ing this reply to Borja, who mentored my project on Google SOC.
>> Also, do you mind carrying on this discussion in the OpenNebula
>> mailing list?
>
> I don't mind at all! :) I simply thought it might not be that interesting...
> hehe
>

>> > For example, a problem I noticed, for which you already commented me a
>> > solution, was to know the IP of a submitted VM... With the reply I got
>> > from
>> > you, I got clear the way to know it... I was just wondering if there was
>> > "method" which returned the IP to the user, just in case she is not
>> > managing
>> > the server, for example. Or to know VM's IP if the user didn't input any
>> > MAC
>> > at all...
>> > I've implemented a "Forward" IpConfig - AcqusitionMethod, which simply
>> > lets
>> > OpenNEbula configure the network (I'm totally replacing worksp-control
>> > backend!) and it doesn't do much (nothing?), of course. But I just
>> > imagined
>> > an implementation were the user, even without introducing a MAC address,
>> > got
>> > an IP (previously unknown for her) after submitting its template, to
>> > immediately start using the VM. I guess it's not possible and then I
>> > would
>> > just make a mapping function between MAC and IP addresses...
>>
>> On the Workspace Service, networking functionality (associations) is
>> managed by a Network Adapter (NA), which is responsible for assigning
>> IPs from a pool of available addresses. In fact, users don't input MAC
>> address, instead the NA generates a MAC address and binds it to an IP
>> address, then assigning this pair to a workspace configuration.
>
> This depends on one of the three acquisition methods imlemented, right? If
> so, the thing is that I want to implement a new "Forward" acquistiono
> method...

Exactly. The configuration steps I described are related to the
AllocateAndConfigure method.

>> Later on, the DHCP server is automatically configured by the backend
>> script
>> to assign that IP to the VM that requests an IP lease with that MAC
>> address.
>
> To which backend script are you referring?

There are 3 Python scripts that deal with network customization:
dhcp-conf-alter.py,  dhcp-config.sh and  ebtables-config.sh. They are
part of the Workspace backend. Since I have replaced the current
backend, these scripts are not used. However, as I mentioned it would
not be hard to port these scripts to allow automatic network
configuration on this integration. The Workspace front-end itself, via
a network adapter, could invoke this script to make the necessary
changes to the DHCP server config file. Thus, provided that the image
submitted is configure to use DHCP and its primary NIC is bound the
correct bridge, the VM would automatically acquire one of the IP
address available on the chosen association.
I have not looked deeply into the current network adapter
implementation, so I'm not sure how this would be done.
In summary, my suggestion to you would be trying to improve network
customization on the WS side instead of having this "Forward"
acquisition method.

Cheers,

William.

--