[one-users] Transfer manager and Networking

Ruben S. Montero rubensm at dacya.ucm.es
Fri Nov 21 06:36:37 PST 2008

Hi all,
	We have been quite active in the last months improving OpenNebula in two of
its weakest points: image management and networking. We've included in these
areas most of the feedback we've received from OpenNebula users.

	Regarding Image management, we have included a general mechanism to transfer
and clone images,  this TM is a loosely coupled component, that can be turned
off, as suggested by Borja (although you must be careful with the names of the
images). However, following the modular and open philosophy of OpenNebula, the
TM was design to be easily extended and integrated with third-party
developments. For example, your caching mechanism is a great example!.

	The new version of OpenNebula, compiles, let me called this way, "an image
script", which contains the image requirements for the VM. For example:

CLONE host_src:file  host_dst:file
MKSWAP size dst_file

Then CLONE is a configurable action invoked by the TM driver, we have prepared
clone actions for NFS, SSH and HTTP copies. It should be easy to configure the
CLONE action to call your caching mechanism to find out if the image is already
at host_dst or not. We'd happy to help you with this integration!. In this
way, you can use your cache mechanism and take advantage of other
functionality built-in in the TM (like create a swap image for you, we have
also big plans for TM....)

	About networking, right now it is difficult to track the MAC/IPs and its
association with physical networks, the current mechanism does not scale
(dealing with hundreds of VMs is a nightmare). The new VNM module allows you
to define virtual networks and it leases IP-MAC pairs to VMs, so you do not
have to keep trac of the addresses in use. In this way is pretty much like an
embedded DHCP server. Additionally, the leases are built in such a way that
you can easily obtain the IP form the MAC when booting the VM.  Again you do
not have to use it, and OpenNebula 1.0 networking will be supported.

A beta release (with documentation) is planned by the end of this month. The
code is already in the SVN trunk.

Best Regards, and thanks for your interest

Ruben

 Dr. Ruben Santiago Montero
 Associate Professor
 Distributed System Architecture Group (http://dsa-research.org)