[one-users] OpenSuse 11 as guest + ro boot parameter

Tino Vazquez tinova79 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 06:26:28 PST 2008

Hi there,

We've opened a ticket to keep track of the bug:

http://trac.opennebula.org/ticket/52

Also, I would like to let you know it has been already fixed in the Trunk of
OpenNebula SVN:

http://trac.opennebula.org/changeset/245
http://trac.opennebula.org/changeset/246

Now it should work as Rubén suggested in his last email. You are invited to
give it a try and see if it works for you.

Best regards,

-Tino

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 6:32 AM, Marcos Dias de Assuncao <
marcosd at csse.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I am working with Alexandre Di Costanzo, who has sent some messages to the
> list before.
>
> We are using OpenNebula with OpenSuse 11, Ubuntu 8.04 and Xen 3.2. Some of
> our hosts run OpenSuse whereas others run Ubuntu. We have created Ubuntu
> paravirtualized images and OpenSuse images to run as guests. We  do not have
> problems scheduling the Ubuntu virtual machines, but we have encountered
> some issues with OpenSuse. So, we thought that it would be interesting to
> post something about the problem to the list and check if other people have
> had the similar problems and get some help.
>
> When OpenNebula generates the deployment file (i.e. xen guest description
> file), it appends 'ro' to the description of the file system to be mounted
> as root. In this way, if I specify an image to be mapped to hda1, the
> deployment file will contain something like "root = '/dev/hda1 ro'". We
> believe this is to force fsck to check the file system at boot time. Ubuntu
> images are pretty ok with that, but our OpenSuse images do not seem very
> happy in mounting the file system as read-only during boot.
>
> We have performed some tests with some Xen guest description files for
> OpenSuse and it works only if we specify 'rw' as the boot parameter for
> 'root=' or nothing, which will assume 'rw' I guess. For example, one
> description file that works is the following:
>

> kernel      = '/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.25.18-0.2-xen'
> ramdisk     = '/boot/initrd-2.6.25.18-0.2-xen'
> #root        = '/dev/hda1'
> root        = '/dev/hda1 rw'
> name="susebox"
> memory=256
> vcpus=1
> on_poweroff="destroy"
> on_reboot="restart"
> on_crash="destroy"
> disk=[ 'tap:aio:/path/to/file/OpenSuse11.img,hda1,w']
> vif=[ 'mac=00:16:3e:01:01:06' ]
> extra = '3 console=xvc0'
>

> The configuration above works fine, but if we change (root = '/dev/hda1
> rw') to (root = '/dev/hda1 ro'), we get OpenSuse complaining about file
> permissions and finally hangs at the initialisation of HAL daemon. Part of
> the output is  shown below:
>

> rm: cannot remove `/success': Read-only file system
>                                                                      failed
> Mounting local file systems...
> mount: according to mtab, proc is already mounted on /proc
>
> mount: according to mtab, sysfs is already mounted on /sys
>
> mount: according to mtab, debugfs is already mounted on /sys/kernel/debug
>
> mount: according to mtab, udev is already mounted on /dev
>
> loop: module loaded
> mount: according to mtab, devpts is already mounted on /dev/pts
>
> nothing was mounted
> failed
> mv: cannot move `/var/log/boot.msg' to `/var/log/boot.omsg': Read-only file
> system
> Creating /var/log/boot.msg
> [...]

Constantino Vázquez, Grid Technology Engineer/Researcher:
http://www.dsa-research.org/doku.php?id=people:tinova