[one-users] How to do HA?

Javier Fontan jfontan at fdi.ucm.es
Fri Dec 5 04:20:18 PST 2008

Hello,

Nice to know that it works now! Seems that prior xen 3.3 there are
some problems when migrating machines with non equal processors (like
from amd to intel).

For the kind of HA you are asking we have the command checkpoint
implemented. This command performs a save command in xen, saves the
state of the VM to disk. This way you can create a cron job that saves
the state of the VM each some ammount of minutes. If the machine goes
down then you have a save state of the virtual machine that you can
use to bring up your machine. There is one problem with this procedure
and its the state of the VM image. To have a good state save snapshots
of the images should be made at the same time the save is performed.
This could be done, for example, with LVM. Right now we only support
images but supporting LVM partitions is a feature we have in mind.

If your service is not state dependent you can also save & stop (stop
command) a working VM with the service and use it to run it again in
almost no time if the service is down.

I hope it helps, bye