[Interoperability] [WG-OSSI] Open Source Identity Cloud Computing

Neil McEvoy neil.mcevoy at l5consulting.net
Mon Nov 14 07:35:46 PST 2011

Hi Mikael

Thanks. I would also like to share this message with the OpenNebula
Interoperability group.

OpenNebula is an open source Cloud platform, and as defined in this article
(http://www.infoq.com/articles/open-interoperable-cloud), there is a key
focus on interoperability through standards like OVF, CDMI, OCCI.

It also says there is no Identity layer/standards yet defined, so I'd like
to propose that Kantara (http://kantarainitiative.org) could be one possible
equivalent to OCCI etc., for Identity.

"It should be noted that aspects such as authorisation and authentication
are not dealt with in this article. These issues are somewhat orthogonal and
dealt with by other specifications and technologies (e.g. OAuth, OpenID,
etc). OCCI and CDMI leverage the design considerations in the HTTP protocol
suite with respect security."

Perhaps we could encourage collaboration to build Kantara compliance into
OpenNebula, or other similar effort for more interoperability?

Kantara is the standard being adopted by folks like Government of Canada, so
this would enable a profile of OpenNebula that is ideal for a 'GovCloud'.

Neil.