[one-ecosystem] vmware deployment problem

Tino Vazquez tinova at fdi.ucm.es
Mon Oct 25 06:01:41 PDT 2010

Hi Paul,

comments inline,

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 2:28 PM, Paul Piscuc <paul.piscuc at sinergetic.ro> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are using the new VMware driver, with mysql backend, but we're having
> serios problems when trying to launch and deploy the virtual machine. We
> have mounted NFS localy at ~/var/images, we have set in oned.conf
> IMAGE_REPOSITORY_PATH = /srv/cloud/var/images , in
> ~/etc/vmm_sh/vmm_sh_vmware.conf , the name of the datastore is test. When
> trying to register an existing machine on the ESX using
>
> onevmware register debtest.tem --disk-vmdk
> /srv/cloud/one/var/images/debtest/debtest.vmdk --disk-flat
> /srv/cloud/one/var/images/debtest/debtest-flat.vmdk
>
> the error generated is
> /srv/cloud/one/lib/ruby/OpenNebula/ImageRepositoryVMware.rb:59:in `mkdir':
> No such file or directory -
> /srv/cloud/var/images/447ae3c816e8ca89fc99edcb913d653767d066eb
> (Errno::ENOENT)

The setup should be: the image repository being in
$ONE_LOCATION/var/images, and your local images in some other
location. The onevmware register will then copy the vmdk and the flat
files from that other location to $ONE_LOCATION/var/images. also, the
whole $ONE_LOCATION/var needs to be mounted in the ESX as the "test"
datastore.

I see that the images are in " /srv/cloud/one/var/images/debtest", is
that $ONE_LOCATION/var?

> Part 2
> When trying to deploy from a local path, using onevm create and the deploy,
> tm_clone tries the copy to a whole different directory then the point where
> the test datastore is mounted on the ESX(/vmfs/volumes/test):
> neb2:/srv/cloud/one/localimages/debtest
> vmware.local:/srv/cloud/one/var//5/images/disk.0
> And then the error:
> Mon Oct 25 14:53:58 2010 [VMM][E]: Wrong target value in DISK.
>
> source="/srv/cloud/one/localimages/debtest
>
> Maybe you can point us in the right direction.

When using images in the "traditional way" (ie. not using the Image
Catalog), you need to explicitly set the "TARGET" attribute in the
DISK section (try with "hda", for instance).

Best regards,

-Tino

--
Constantino Vázquez Blanco | dsa-research.org/tinova
Virtualization Technology Engineer / Researcher