[Discuss] long VMs startup workflows

Andrea Gardiman andreagardiman at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 08:36:25 PST 2014

Dear all,
I'm a student of computer science and for the project for my master thesis
I need to undestrand in details how some parts of OpenNebula work.
The problem that this thesis seeks to understand, and perhaps resolve, is
that the VMs startup workflows take longer than VMs bootup time.
I need to understand in depth the workflow that OpenNebula executes when an
user asks to start a VM and in detail, all the phases that are part of that
workflow. Then I will try to figure out in what phases the problem is or
the improvement could be done.
To do so I also will make measurements of the performance of all the phases
in several different use cases.

Please, is there anyone that can help me only to begin with this project?
I read all the documentation of OpenNebula and I understood in general how
the OpenNebula works.
I understood that the VM, during the deployment phase, takes the state
"pending", "prolog", "boot" and finally "running". The longest time is
spent during the period in which the VM is in "pending" state. So maybe the
action most greedy of time is the scheduling of the resources. Could be
right?

Could be other phases in which I can look under the hood? There is some
documents that explain how the source code is organized, what each class do
.. etc etc.. ?
Which source code files or classes do you recommend me to look?

Thanks a lot in advance for the help,
and I hope that I can make a contribution to this community.