[one-dev] Proposal for metadata-addon

Ricardo Duarte rjtd21 at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 25 02:11:01 PDT 2014

Dear All,
Some time ago I made available a service that implemented the EC2 metadata protocol. For more information, please see:
http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/2008-08-08/DeveloperGuide/AESDG-chapter-instancedata.html
The main benefit is that you can get instance meta-data from inside the machine, most notably the user-data and public keys.And because it is compatible with EC2, you can use cloud-init or other tools without any modification.
You can find the code and instructions on the following link:
https://bitbucket.org/ricardoduarte/opennebula-metadata
This server has been extremely valuable for my users, and I think a wider audience would also benefit from it.So, I would like to push forward the metadata-addon.The current code is compatible with, at least, the 4.4 branch of One, and I've been using it in production for 1+ year. I plan to test it with the latest versions, and also add more metadata fields in the near future.Do you think it is valuable for the community? How should I proceed?
Regards,Ricardo