[one-dev] 4.7.80 and Centos 6

Javier Fontan jfontan at opennebula.org
Thu Jul 24 08:57:03 PDT 2014

You are right. Installing SCL ruby will break the dependencies.

We have been discussing this and we can not provide an easy way to use the
new hybrid drivers. These drivers will only be supported on distributions
with ruby 1.9.3 or newer. By default the install_gems will not add Azure
and Softlayer when ruby is < 1.9.3 so the software can be used but without
those features.

This does not mean that you can do some juggling in CentOS 6. One way to do
this without resorting to RVM as is really cumbersome to configure as
systemwide is to compile ruby manually. I still have to do this myself and
maybe create a guide but more or less these are the steps to do it.

* Install OpenNebula, this install ruby dependencies. But do not execute
install_gems.
* Rename binaries of ruby and its tools/gems so they do not clash with the
newer ones. For example, rename /usr/bin/ruby to /usr/bin/ruby-1.8. The
list of binaries can be found using the rpm tool:
# rpm -qa | grep ruby | xargs rpm -ql | grep /usr/bin/
* Compile from source ruby 2.1.2, this is the latest stable version
https://www.ruby-lang.org/en/installation/#building-from-source
* Execute install_gems

Hopefully this will upgrade the ruby installation and make the new hybrid
drivers work.

Cheers

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 12:55 PM, Jose Angel Diaz <joseangel.diaz at cenatic.es

--