[one-dev] proof of concept implementation of EXTERNAL leases

Ruben S. Montero rsmontero at opennebula.org
Thu Jan 16 08:47:19 PST 2014

Hi Steven,

Again, I've got sidetracked by other (less interesting) things... Anyway, I
want to clear this to have something for 4.6.

You are right IPs, are not used by ONE core. The IP's assgined by
OpenNebula are used only to pass a meaningful value to the VM through
context.

We could decouple this, as in #2545. However, you need to know the MAC
addresses before hand or set them in the vnets. In the current setup we
could:
  1.- DHCP is configured with a given map (MAC-IP)
  2.- Define a network of type fixed. Each lease is a mac address and ip
address, those defined in the DHCP map.
  3.- Add the the required A register in DNS server for the IP

Note that Option 2 will  work with opennebula 4.x. Also note that 2 can be
easily auotmated using the cli or the API. Is that acceptable for your use
case?

Cheers

#2545 - http://dev.opennebula.org/issues/2545

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 4:01 PM, Steven Armstrong <
steven-opennebula at armstrong.cc> wrote:

> Ruben S. Montero wrote on 12/19/2013 03:34 PM:
>
>> Hi Steven
>>

> Hi Rubén
>

>  Sorry for the dealy. This is very interesting indeed. Usually we implement
>> this feature the other way around, a hook registers the IP assigned by
>> OpenNebula to the DHCP server. Obviously, this cannot be assumed in all
>> deployments.
>>

> My problem with this is that the networks are shared with physical
> machines. So I can't let OpenNebula manage them. I could preallocate a
> number of IPs in each subnet for virtual machines but that feels like a
> hack.
>
> So I thought I could either add a lease and somehow reserve it for a
> specific vm, preferably by mac address. But this does not seem to be
> possible.
>
> So I came up with the idea of EXTERNAL leases.
>

>  Thinking about this, I'd like to leverage the hook system. The goal is to
>> manage the excution to an external driver and decouple it for the core it
>> self. However, there are a couple of issues to address, as we need to
>> synchronize IP and VM structures.
>>

> Happy with that if it gives me what I need ;-)
>

>  Could we somehow get around this by  implementin a API call to update the
>> IP address?
>>

> Possible, but in the mean time I found this [1] which I think could also
> solve my problems. Together with some new hooks it could handle all use
> cases I can think of. [2] is maybe related.
>
> For me it would be best if OpenNebula would not care about IP addresses at
> all. From my limited understanding (noob alert here) the vms IP's are not
> used by OpenNebula directly anyway. Is this correct?
>
> What I do when we get a new physical machine is:
> - get mac from hardware or supplier
> - define ip to mac binding via dhcp
> - define hostname to ip binding via dns
>
> I'd like to treat vms exactly the same. Only difference that OpenNebula
> gives me the mac address instead of my hardware supplier.
>
> Cheers,
> Steven
>
> [1] http://dev.opennebula.org/issues/2545
> [2] http://dev.opennebula.org/issues/1958