[one-dev] OpenNebula LXC Addon

Jaime Melis jmelis at opennebula.org
Sat Oct 26 04:12:10 PDT 2013

Hi Valentin,

thanks a lot for the detailed recap of the opennebula-lxc situation! I'm
personally very interested in making lxc work with OpenNebula.

While reading the email I was thinking about telling you to try and push
core-
level support drivers for LXC (if we're going to go down the Libvirt route)
instead of using the XML representation, however, after second thought I
think
using the XML representation would be a very wise choice, precisely because
it
opens support  for any other virtualization technology. It would come in
very
handy to have a plugin-extensible library that processes the XML
representation
and outputs a domain specific file, so if someone decides to add support for
another VT to OpenNebula would only need to write a new plugin. I don't
know how
this fits into the current state of the lxc drivers, but having that piece
of
middleware would be a very cool think to have.

By the way, are there any things you see missing in the XML representation
of
the VM required for the LXC drivers? We could always add core-level support
for
those missing attributes, if any.

Regarding the use of lxc-* tools vs the Libvirt virsh://lxc approach, I'm
also
inclined towards the Libvirt approach. However it'd be interesting to know
if
libvirt has full support for lxc for all the VM actions OpenNebula supports.
Does it?

Anyways, really looking forward to seeing the PoC! oh, and by the way, I
would
be personally very interested in having a Hangout session chaired by you, so
once you're ready we can see the lxc drivers in action and discuss the
implementation details. Let us know if you would be up for it!

cheers,
Jaime

--
Jaime Melis