[one-users] installing OpenNebula: system requirements?

Carlos Martín Sánchez cmartin at opennebula.org
Tue Nov 22 08:18:01 PST 2011

Hi,

It all depends on the workload you will execute and performance you will
expect.
You will have to plan the amount of CPU and RAM depending on the number of
VMs you will run concurrently, and the requirements of the virtualized
services.
The same goes for disk, it will depend on the number of images you will
need to store.

The only hardware requirement is that the CPU must have virtualization
extensions if you plan to install KVM.
Xen does not require these extensions, but you will be limited to
paravirtualization. This may not be a problem to you, but you will for
example lose the possibility to virtualize Windows machines.

As for the OS, it will be easier to configure everything in one the
distributions with official packages [1], but any modern Linux distribution
should work.
OpenNebula can be configured to use the frontend (main machine) as the only
host (virtualization physical machine) without any problem. You may need a
second host if you need to experiment with migrations or scheduling
policies...

I know this is not really conclusive, but it is more a matter of adapting
OpenNebula to your requirements than the other way around.

Regards.

[1] http://opennebula.org/software:software
--
Carlos Martín, MSc