[one-users] No more than 144 vm instances?

Lars Kellogg-Stedman lars at seas.harvard.edu
Thu Apr 28 14:24:03 PDT 2011

I have a cluster of three machines, each with 256GB of RAM and 48
cores.  I deployed 200 VM instances using occi-compute, and all 200
intances show up in "onevm list".  However, OpenNebula does not appear
to be willing to actual boot more than 144 of these instances at a
time.  After there were 144 running instances, no more were started;
when I killed one of the running instances, a new one started.  I am
creating these instances as myself, rather than as the "oneadmin"
user.

I thought that perhaps some sort of quota mechanism was kicking in,
but I can't see anywhere that such a limit is defined.
/etc/one/auth/auth.conf looks like this:

:database: sqlite://auth.db
:authentication: simple
:quota:
  :enabled: false
  :defaults:
    :cpu: 10.0
    :memory: 1048576
    :num_vms:

And I've never used the "oneauth quota ..." command.

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at seas.harvard.edu>
Senior Technologist