[one-users] Guest can configure network interface if started from OpenNebula

Javier Fontan jfontan at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 08:51:55 PDT 2010

Hello,

Can you send us dumpxml of the VM started in both ways. Maybe there
are parameters automatically added by the VMM application we are not
aware, like the network device emulation. It could also happen that
that the bridge it is attached is not correct (sorry for this vague
error description) and net driver calls to it don't work.

Bye

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 7:28 AM,  <Carsten.Friedrich at csiro.au> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I’m looking for some ideas how to debug the following problem:
>

> * I use OpenNebula 2.0 beta.
>
> * I have a Ubuntu 10.4 guest image.
>
> * I have a Ubuntu 10.4 host with kvm and its network interface set up in
> bridging mode.
>

> If I start the guest image from the “Virtual Machine Manager” application
> the guest can see and configure its network interface without problems. If I
> start the same guest image, with as similar parameters as possible, from
> OpenNebula it boots fine and I can connect through VNC, but the guest cannot
> configure its network card. It can see that the device exists and list it on
> “ifconfig –a”, but any attempt to bring it up or assign it an IP address
> results in error messages. An ifconfig on the host reveals that vnet0 and
> vnet1 were created and attached to the bridge. The ifconfig output is
> basically identical (apart from MAC etc…).
>

> Any ideas on what the problem could be or what I should look at would be
> highly appreciated. I‘m happy to send more detailed information like xml
> dump from virsh, ifconfig output etc. if this helps.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Carsten

Javier Fontan, Grid & Virtualization Technology Engineer/Researcher