[one-users] Questions about one.vm.savedisk

Carsten.Friedrich at csiro.au Carsten.Friedrich at csiro.au
Mon Sep 27 22:42:10 PDT 2010

I'm trying to understand how to use one.vm.savedisk correctly. I have a couple of questions:

1) As I understand it this command does not immediately save the disk image, but only does so when the VM is "shut-down". Exactly which actions will cause this save to happen (I guess all or some of: Shutdown, Stop, Suspend, Cancel, Delete/Finalize)?
2) It seems there are no restriction on State or LCM State on when savedisk is allowed in the code. Since it requires a save to happen, however, it seems that this probably cannot be successfully achieved from all states. My question: in which states does a savedisk make sense and in which does it not make sense?
3) From reading the code it seems to me that issuing a savedisk request will override and disable the "save" flag from the VM template such that a "traditional" save will no longer happen. Is this correct? If yes, I think this needs to be documented explicitly.

Cheers,
Carsten